Awaiaulu is dedicated to developing resources and resource people that can bridge Hawaiian knowledge from the past to the present and the future. Historical resources are made accessible so as to build the knowledge base of both Hawaiian and English-speaking audiences, and young scholars are trained to understand and interpret those resources for modern audiences today and tomorrow.
Purposes and Activities
Awaiaulu, Inc. is organized exclusively for educational purposes, including:
- perpetuating and advancing use of the Hawaiian language,
- training Hawaiian language translators and editors,
- generating Hawaiian language books, translations, and other educational material for universities, schools, research arenas, and the general public,
- researching, translating and re-presenting Hawaiian language texts from the past for modern Hawaiian and English-language audiences.
Funding to carry out these programs is provided primarily from grants, contributions, contracts, and sale of publications.
Awaiaulu achieves its Mission and Purposes through the following activities:
- The production of accessible resources.
- The development of resource people.